Last updated: 6th November 2014
The NETmundial Initiative respects the protection and privacy of personal information.
This statement ("Privacy Statement") sets out how the NETmundial Initiative will use and handle personal information provided by or collected from a user ("User") of its websites or services, including any mobile version of the websites, mobile applications, and other online services (collectively, the "Site").
This Privacy Statement may be supplemented by additional terms and conditions agreed by a User in connection with a specific service provided by the NETmundial Initiative.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully and review it periodically for the latest information about the NETmundial Initiative’s privacy practices.
By using the Site, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree with the practices described in this Privacy Statement, please do not provide the NETmundial Initiative with your personal information or interact with the Site.
The NETmundial Initiative will routinely update this Privacy Statement to clarify our practices and to reflect new or different privacy practices, such as when we add new services, functionality or features to the NETmundial Initiative website. You can determine when this Privacy Statement was last revised by referring to the date it was Last Updated above.
Except as stated here, this Privacy Statement applies to any personal information collected on the Site or provided offline to NETmundial Initiative in connection with NETmundial Initiative's services or activities.
- Personal Information Collection
The NETmundial Initiative will only collect personal information for the purposes necessary to provide a service or perform its functions. Some examples include:
- Personal information that a User submits to the NETmundial Initiative: This may be personal information such name, address, email address, and contact details in connection with an NETmundial Initiative service or function including for example public comment submissions, community surveys, email list subscription, general enquiries, event registration, etc.
- Personal information received from a third party: This may include personal information such as name and address to confirm identity or to process a request or an application submitted to the NETmundial Initiative.
- Automatically logged information: The NETmundial Initiative's Site may automatically record information that is sent by the User's browser when accessing the Site. This information may include information such as IP address, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), date/time stamp, page viewed, operating system, mobile device data, and other similar data. The NETmundial Initiative uses this information to analyze usage for the purpose of improving Site performance and its services.
- Cookies: Cookies and other user tracking devices (e.g., local shared objects) may be stored on the User's computer when using NETmundial Initiative's Site. A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user's computer for record-keeping purposes. The NETmundial Initiative uses session ID cookies to confirm that a User is logged in. These cookies terminate once the User closes the browser. The NETmundial Initiative may also deploy persistent cookies to improve User services, including by storing user preferences and tracking user trends. While most browsers are set to accept cookies and other tracking devices by default, Users are always free to decline cookies if the browser permits, however this may affect the Site or User service working properly. The browser manufacturer has information on changing the default setting for that specific browser. User acknowledges the use of such tracking devices as noted in this Privacy Statement, and hereby consents to having such tracking devices stored on the User's computing devices.
- Personal Information Use
The NETmundial Initiative will use personal information generally to:
The NETmundial Initiative will not use personal information for any other purpose than for which it was collected unless:
- Provide information or a service requested or consented by the User.
- Assist in the performance of its activities and public interest functions.
- Perform relevant contractual obligations with the User and other third parties.
- Improve NETmundial Initiative's Site content.
- Assist in policy discussion and development activities.
- The User has consented.
- The NETmundial Initiative is required to disclose that information by law or to otherwise protect the NETmundial Initiative's, a User, or the public's interest (See Section 3 below).
- The NETmundial Initiative may include User's personal information in publishing User's comments or feedback on the NETmundial Initiative Site for the benefit of others or to assure the appropriate levels of accountability and transparency in participation in the NETmundial Initiative’s activities, as detailed in the Code of Conduct.
- Sharing of Personal Information
The NETmundial Initiative may share certain personal information with contractors and other agents for the purpose of processing this information on the NETmundial Initiative's behalf, and providing other services to the NETmundial Initiative or to the User on behalf of the NETmundial Initiative. The NETmundial Initiative requires that these parties agree to handle this information in compliance with appropriate confidentiality obligations and security measures.
The NETmundial Initiative will provide personal information to third parties, government authorities and agencies as and when required to: (i) comply with applicable laws, regulations, legal process or enforceable governmental request; (ii) protect the NETmundial Initiative's or a third party's legal rights; (iii) receive contracted services or use of licensed products from third party providers; (iv) comply with any court order or legal proceeding; (v) comply with the NETmundial Initiative's code of conduct principles; (vi) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud or other criminal activity or errors, security or technical issues; or (vii) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of the NETmundial Initiative, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
The NETmundial Initiative will not sell or otherwise share any personal information with third parties for marketing purposes. The NETmundial Initiative will not provide any personal information to third parties for commercial services unless the User have given specific permission or direction.
- International Transfers
By using our Site or giving the NETmundial Initiative personal information online, the User is directly transferring personal information and non-identifiable information to the NETmundial Initiative in the United States and may also be transferred and processed in other countries where our staff or service providers are located. The United States and such other countries may not have the same level of data protection as the User's jurisdiction.
If the User lives outside the United States, and uses the Site or provides the NETmundial Initiative with personal information directly via the Site, such use and information will handled in accordance with this Privacy Statement. The User is solely responsible for compliance with any data protection or privacy obligations in the User's jurisdiction when using the Site or provide the NETmundial Initiative with personal information.
- Information Security and Integrity
The NETmundial Initiative will use reasonable industry standard safeguards (which may include physical, procedural and technical measures) to protect against the unauthorized disclosure of personal information it collects and holds. The NETmundial Initiative will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information collected is complete and relevant to its intended use.
The NETmundial Initiative's Site contains links to other third party websites, which are subject to the respective privacy policies of those third parties. The NETmundial Initiative is not responsible for the privacy practices of such linked third party sites, and their owners and operators.
Due to the open communication nature of the Internet, the NETmundial Initiative cannot represent, warrant or guarantee that communications stored on NETmundial Initiative servers will be free from unauthorized access by third parties, loss, misuse or alterations. While the NETmundial Initiative will take reasonable and appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of personal information received, NETmundial Initiative DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS OR USE OR COMPROMISE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. USERS ARE ADVISED THAT THEY SUBMIT SUCH PERSONAL INFORMATION AT THEIR OWN RISK.
- Accessing and Updating Personal Information
Users may request access to their personal information held by NETmundial Initiative (if any) to verify if it is complete and accurate. The NETmundial Initiative will endeavor to respond to genuine requests to access, correct or update personal information retained by the NETmundial Initiative, where appropriate. Requests may be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NETmundial Initiative will retain personal information stored on our servers in accordance with our general archival practices and as required or permitted by law.
The NETmundial Initiative does not knowingly collect or require personal information from children under the age of 13.
- Questions or Contacting the NETmundial Initiative
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, please feel free to contact NETmundial Initiative at email@example.com.